10/21/2009

Don't liiiiike it!

"Don't like it! Don't Liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiike it!" That is what my 2 year old says whenever she hears a loud noise or has food on her plate that she doesn't want to eat or any other undesirable circumstance in her life.

When I remember that my birthday is coming up this weekend that phrase goes through my mind. Birthdays used to be so fun! I remember waking up , even days before, feeling so light hearted and excited. There was so much to look forward to. I never had a big fancy party, but I always felt special and loved. Mom always asked us what kind of birthday cake we wanted. As busy as she was, she would always make a cake and a meal of our request. I always got cards from my grandparents and great grandparents in the mail. And what kid doesn't look forward to birthday presents? My parents never went overboard with gifts, but I got a few special things and I always loved what they gave me. One year I even got to have 3 friends spend the night. I remember sitting on the porch swing, waiting for them to arrive, with butterflies of excitement fluttering around in my stomach. Getting older is great when you're a kid. Each year is a badge of honor.

Now, as my birthday approaches, I don't feel the least bit excited. It could just pass on by for all I care. Mom still makes each of us a cake of our choice and hosts birthday dinners for all her kids and grandkids. But for some reason getting older is no longer fun, happy, or exciting. Birthdays are no longer exciting. Needless to say I am no longer excited about getting older. As Eliana would say- Don't like it! DON'T LIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIKE IT!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment