8/26/2010

Awwww, Nuts!

(Please excuse the terrible picture which does these no justice)
I saw this recipe on a friend's blog last night and jumped up to try it. Ever since learning about how healthful walnuts are I have been trying to get my children to eat them. No one cares for them except for me. So I had a big bag of raw walnuts in the cabinet that had been dwindling very slowly. When I saw how easy this was and how delicious my friend said they were I knew I had to make these and try them out. The recipe seems so simple, I wondered if they could really be as good as she claimed they were. They are, my friends! They are!


First of all the smell of these glazed walnuts cooking is scrumptious. Every one of my children came into the kitchen to find out what smelled so good. Then I had to shoo them all away until the nuts cooled enough to try them. They were a huge hit! 2/3 of them got eaten last night and the only reason 1/3 remain is because I put them away. Now I know a way to get them to eat nuts. I realize that raw, uncooked, unheated, unsweetened nuts are better, but this is a start to get my youngsters to begin enjoying nuts. And maple syrup is a more healthful sweetener than sugar for sure.



I will be making a big batch of these to put in our basket that we take to Sukkot. I'm sure most people will love these- maybe even nut haters.



So here's the recipe:


Glazed Walnuts


2 c. walnut halves
1 T. butter
pinch of salt
1/2 t. cinnamon
1/3 c. pure maple syrup

Melt butter in a skillet or sauce pan (stainless is recommended for a better glaze) over med heat.
Add cinnamon and salt. Stir in maple syrup and walnuts.
Stir as syrup gets bubbly.
When the glaze thickens on the nuts they are done.
Remove from heat and cool on wax or parchment paper.
Try not to eat them all at once.



This recipe and many others that have become family favorites can be found at http://www.tammysrecipes.com/



If you like walnuts (or even if you don't) you must take a few minutes and make these. They are SO worth it!

1 comment: