11/15/2010

Polyhydramnios

During this last trimester I have developed polyhydramnios which simply means I have extra amniotic fluid. In this case, a WHOLE LOT of extra amniotic fluid. Like as in twice the normal amount. So far it has only meant that I measure ahead of my dates. But the last few days I have begun to feel like a water balloon that cannot hold anymore water! When it breaks it's gonna be a tidal wave! Although this condition can indicate certain birth defects, in our case the baby looks to be just fine. My first baby had extra fluid as well, and he was healthy and fine. Many cases of polyhydramnios are of an unexplanined cause. So, basically I have an extra huge and round belly (I feel like the girl from Willy Wonka) and my baby has a big pool to swim in. I hope he comes soon because I'm starting to feel like I'm slowly being suffocated from the inside.

On the up side, all this fluid makes for some GREAT ultra-sound pics! Our doctor's office recently got new u/s equipment that is capeable of 4D imaging. However, it costs something like $150.00 for a 20 minute scan. So we were shocked and happily surprised when they gave us a good long 4D peak at our baby (including pics) during a rountine non-4D scan to measure fluid levels and check on baby. The high fluid made me the perfect test subject for them to practice their new equipment on! :-) I was happy to be their gunea pig in this case. It is amazing to see our baby that clearly while he is still in the womb! Check out these chubby cheeks>

No comments:

Post a Comment