11/09/2011

P. B. & J Granola Recipe

My friend made some of this granola at sukkot this year. It is so good! Her recipe is slightly altered here because I didn't have a couple of the things it called for (ie. wheat germ, peanuts, or pecans) so instead I upped the amount of oats a wee bit. It turned out great anyway!

You'll need:

4 c. oats (I used 2 cups steel cut and 2 cups old fashioned)
1 and 1/4 t. salt
1 t. ground ginger
1/2 t. cinnamon
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. honey
1 c. peanut butter
1 and 1/2 t. vanilla
1/2 c. extra light, extra virgin olive oil (I used coconut oil- did not have extra light EVOO)
1 c. raisins
1/2 c. dried cranberries (or just put in extra raisins)
*Optional* chopped or whole peanuts and/or pecans

In a large bowl combine oats, cinnamon, ginger, and salt (and optional nuts). Mix well.

In a sauce pan mix honey and sugar over med-high heat until bubbly. Remove from heat and stir in peanut butter and vanilla.

Pour peanut butter mixture over oat mixture and mix well. Pour oil over all and coat well.

Spread evenly on cookie sheet and bake at 300 for 30 minutes- stirring well every 10 minutes.

Cool and return to large bowl. Mix in raisins and cranberries. Store in air tight container.

*The original recipe called for baking at 325 for 35 to 40 mins. (stirring every 15 mins.), but this caused my first batch to be overly done. It depends on your oven. In my case, reducing the heat and bake time resulted in toasted and crunchy, yet not burnt tasting granola.

I think it would be very tasty with the nuts. Maybe next batch I'll throw some in.

No comments:

Post a Comment